Saturday, August 23, 2008

Diary: Glenn Seven Allen

Met an AMAZING singer a few weeks ago, Glenn Seven Allen. Two "n's"! He was in a show at the fringe and really knocked me out. I met him at the party and told him about my Mozart translations. He was obviously a classically trained guy so he responded. He came over yesterday, and man, what a singer. He asked if I had some concert pieces for Tenor. I almost forgot about my Shakespeare song cycle I wrote in London. The plan was a song from all 38 of the plays to be divided up between Tenor, Baritone, Soprano, Duets. I finished the first 10 for tenor. I played through a couple of them before Glenn came over, and I had forgotten how good they were. I wrote them during my Britten phase but they still sound like me. And then I played through Michael's Letter to Mama. Also pleased with that. So, despite the depression, at least there's a body of work. And wouldn't it be nice to hear it performed. Ah well, (See the piece on the Bunny down below.)

Anyway Glenn came over and we sang and sang. He's truly amazing. A great actor, great tenor, although he can also sing the Baritone stuff just fine. We read through some Mozart and it was the first time I had heard the Ottavio stuff. Great to hear it sung. We didn't really work on it, just sang through it. I'll probably make some adjustments if it gets performed, but it sure works great in English.

And then we did two Shakespeare songs. He seemed to really like them. Lee Hoiby did a setting of The Tempest bit and he liked mine better. Yeah for me.

We talked about maybe doing a concert version of the cycle. Maybe adding a woman for a duet or two. Maybe a star...Or Broadway star...whatever that means. Stars are good, of course.

Maybe we'll do a three parter: Mozart, Roven, and Maupin. That would be great. Maybe if Dr. T happens I can record my Classical Album!

Now, I'm about to call the radio station in St. Louis to do an interview.

No comments: