Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Poetry Thursday 4 February

Dear All,

Today was the last big recording day marathon.

In the last two weeks we've recorded over 60 poems! Not bad, huh?

Here's today:

We started with a new friend, Diedra O'Connell. Reed Birney roped almost the whole cast of his play at Playwrights Horizons to be part of this project. Thanks so much, Reed. Deidra read a beautiful poem by Jim Harrison, Barking. Only about 15 lines, but what a poem and what a performance. I guess size doesn't matter. (Have I used that line already? I've forgotten.)

Another new friend, Chandler Williams came in doing when of my favorite poets, Frank O'Hara. Try as I might, I couldn't get any interest in recording O'Hara's Fire Island, a poem I dearly love. But Chandler read my other favorite by FO'H, The Harbour Master. Chandler brought such warmth and passion to the reading I know O'Hara would be happy. Beautiful. Thank you Frankie for introducing us.

Next a dear old friend, Cynthia Nixon, came by to perform. I've known Cynthia since we both were 16 or 17. And while the world knows her as Miranda, she will always be Lydie Breeze to me, a play I wrote the music for that Louis Malle directed. One of my favorite experiences. And I also remember Cynthia as Juliet. Anyway, Cynthia offered us two poems and we got to chose. Hard choice. First was the famous Mending Wall by Robert Frost. I always thought that poem was hard to get into, but Cynthia opened the verbal door as wide as possible and I understood and enjoyed the poem more than I ever had. And then she did a Vespers by AA Milnes. So sweet. I don't know which to pick! But I love problems like that!

Another great friend, Douglas Sills did a Paul Monette poem. I had a lovely conversation with Judith Light about her relationship with Monette and I was thrilled that Douglas picked that poem. He gave a very, very moving interview about how he knew the person the poem was dedicated to.
Douglas gave a herculean performance. It's a rather long poem about writing poetry and what it means to be a poet, but Douglas made every word count in such a magnificent way. I was honored to have him in.

The last person of the day was Carole Shelley. She's not on e-mail, so I can gush a bit and she won't get embarrassed. I love her. I've always loved her. She knocks me off my feet. There. I've said it. What a classy lady; what an actress. She wanted to read a poem by Shelley for obvious reason. So I, in my exuberance, suggested my favorite Shelley, Composed Upon Westminster Bridge. She loves the poem as well, But gently pointed out it was Wordsworth not Shelley. Mr. Poetry-Mavin Producer was put RIGHT in his place! No matter. We recorded that poem. I've set this poem to music. I now wish I heard Carole's performance before I set it because she revealed nuances of the poem that I never heard. But at least, she can share the right way to perform it with the world!

Well, now that the marathons are over, I will concentrate on the Web Site, the bios, the liner notes, etc. etc.

Once we have the site up, I'll be asking all of you to submit to us a jpeg picture and a 100 Word Bio. Start thinking about that now and I'll tell you where to send it and when we need it.

I'll still send notes when I have info I want to share.

Especially about the drop party. (That's the record term for opening night party!)

It's been an honor to work with you all.

Thanks to my old friends and my new ones.

This has been the most wonderful project I have ever worked on.

Gratias.

No comments: