Wednesday, February 10, 2010

99-100 February 9, 2010

We're just filling in now with the last few and talk about filling in!

Today started with the amazing Maria Tucci who came to us via Chandler Williams! THANKS! Maria did such a sensitive and delicate reading of Yeats's A Prayer for My Daughter. TUrns out (via the interivew) Maria used to recite that to her ouwn daughter. Not surprising that she gave such an honest performance. I'm also please to say Yeats, one of my all time favorites is now the second most represented poet on the CD. After the Bard.

And speaking of the Bard. The one and only...the elegant...the gorgeous...here she is boys, here she is world... Christine Baranksi came in and did the famous Helena speech from Midsummer Night's Dream. I have to admit I rather suggested this to her out of a selfish reason: her performance as Helena in the park was the greatest Helena I had ever seen. I was thrilled when she told me it was one of her happiest experiences. The perfermance today exceeded all expectations. In fact we have three completely different versions of Helena on tape. Brilliant. And the interview. She talked all about her classical training and the roles she played. I can't wait for people across America who only know her from lighter roles, see this interview. Fantastic.

The day closed (it was short, as a mentioned, just fitting people in) with my dear friend Florence Henderson. I wrote Florence's one woman show for her and I also am the MD when she performs so I know FH really well. We tried to pick the poem together, the perfect poem for her, but it was my pal Alex in San Francisco who came up with the great choice: Longellow's The Day is Done. It turns out, Greg and Mike Brady performed that poem on THE BRADY BUNCH!!! In a school show, with comical results. I honestly don't remember that episode, but Florence's performance was anything but comical. It was a deep, heartfelt, honest reading of a gorgeous poem. A great way to end the day.

One more day in NYC, one day in LA and then we are in the can. (Oh, and Patti in Chicago!)

Press release is done. Onwards

No comments: