Wednesday, February 10, 2010

If it's Monday... (poetry February 1, 2010)

...we must be in the studio recording Poetry.

And a lovely day it was.

Today's first reader was Sam Robards who brought in the shortest poem we have. A mere four lines! But what lines. So size doesn't matter. Seriously, Sam brought more intensity to those four lines than I thought humanly possible. Well done!

My great friend Marc Kudisch came in next. Mark is really in Philadelphia doing Terrance McNally's new play but came in to do this. THANKS MARC. The last time I saw Marc he was in his PJ's doing his hysterical show called, "The Holiday Guys." If you didn't see it, check it out next year. Of course, everyone knows Marc is one of the greatest singers on Broadway, but today he was waxing poetic with Frost's seminal, Fire and Ice. it was chilling. No pun intended.

A new friend, the magnificent Judith Light, came in next. She's a new friend, but of course I've been a fan for years from TV. Who knew she was such a poetry expert. She chose to do Soft Knife by a poet friend of hers, Jonathan Stoler, and we're glad she did. It's a great poem. I look forward in sharing it with everyone on the CD.

Bobby Steggert came next and knocked us out with Naruda's If You Forget Me. It was a deep, heartfelt gorgeous performance. Wonderful.

Another new friend, Romona Mallory had us in stitches with her version of Naps by Shel Silverstein. I saw Ramona in Night Music a few weeks ago and she so knocked me out that I thought I had to get in touch with her and see if she'd read for us. Dreams come true and there she was. Lovely!

TV Icon Barbara Feldon, another major poetry person, graced the studio with her elegant presence. I didn't know Barbara but when I started spreading the word about this project, many people said, "You have to get in touch with Barbara Feldon." And so we did. And boy are we glad. She picked a very personal and sensitive poem by Margaret Atwood. I didn't know Ms. Atwood was a poet. But I'm glad I know it now.

Alice Playten, one of my oldest and dearest friends in NYC, had a wonderful poem. She performed an unpublished poem by Tony Kushner. It was everything one might expect from such a distinguished writer. Complex, surprising, warm, sensitive and GORGEOUS. And what can I say about Alice: she's a national treasure. I'm so glad she came in and read. And I'm so glad she picked that piece. And when she asked Tony for permission, he quickly granted it and said he was thrilled that we were doing it. Are people involved with this project great or what?

Tony Walton brought the project to Melissa Errico and Ciarin O'Reilly. It seemed like a second after they received Tony's e-mail, they e-mailed me to accept. Wow again. In fact Tony is directing Melissa in the Irish Rep's production of Candida where Ciarin is Artistic Director. We're talking about doing a recording of this production. Go GPR Records.

Back to poetry, Melissa read Otherwise by Jane Kenyon. I'm continually amazed at the contemporary poets people are bringing in. I'm thrilled that the audience for this CD will be exposed to all these poets and I'm thrilled that these poets will have some more exposure. Melissa nailed it in two takes. So beautiful.

And talking about beautiful: Ciarin reading Yeats. As you know, just about everyone picked their favorite poem, or one of their favorites. As the album is nearing it's completion, I realized that MY favorite poem was missing. (And God knows I wasn't going to read it with my nasal, Jewish Whine.) But when Tony suggested Ciarin, I thought, Oh wouldn't it be great if he could read Yeats' Cloths of Heaven. He accepted and I WAS in heaven. Of course, as he said, it's many people's favorite poem. He did not disappoint. What music he brought to it. What power. One of my favorites!!!! Thanks.

We ended with another Shel Silverstein delivered by young 9 year old Matthew Schechter. Matthew is one of my favorite kid performers currently starring in Mary Poppins. Before that he was in Waiting for Godot with Nathan Lane. Not bad, huh? Well, he's amazing. Boy can he act. The poem was great. And he's a spectacular singer. Thanks for coming!!!!
So that's today's blog.

More tomorrow.

As always,

THANK YOU!

No comments: