Friday, February 19, 2010

the first email I sent regarding poetry

Dear Old Friends and New,

I'm thrilled you're interested in participating in this poetry CD and giving so generously of your time. I think it will be a very elegant CD as well as a blast to record.

For those of you who aren’t quite sure what we’re doing (and I’ve seen some people in the street who are saying to me, “Now what exactly are we recording??”), here’s the simple description: I’ve just been made head of a new record label; the first CD we’re putting out is a poetry record. I’ve approached all my colleagues and colleagues of my colleagues to read a poem (their favorite?) for this CD celebration poetry. Simple as that! The title is 100 Poems/100 Performers.
Ed Dixon, Donna Lynne Champlin and Scott Mauro are co-producers on this and have obviously been in touch with their comrades.

The business: I've attached a formal release. First, let me apologize in advance for the legalize in the release. It's just that with SOOOO many participants, we had to be very clear up front. (Oh, those lawyers.)



All favored nations. We'd like to shoot video of the sessions for B roll and publicity. If you want to participate in that, great. If not, not a problem at all. We understand. (Check the NO box.)

NOW FOR THE FUN:

Start picking the poems. I really want "official" poems, if you know what I mean. Not song lyrics that sound like poetry, or a pretty bit of prose that reads like a poem. The masters would be great: Shakespeare, Shelley, Keats, Kipling, Auden, Whitman, Frost, Thomas, etc. etc. Modern guys like Wallace Stevens, Williams, Derek Walcott, Maya Angelou. Sonnets, Verse, Blank Verse, There are thousands. If you'd like me to suggest, I would be happy to pick a few that I think would be good for the individuals.

I'd like to start recording in December!!!! We want to release this on April 1, 2010 for National Poetry Month.

Here's how I'd like to schedule the recording. I can offer blocks of time at the studio. You tell me what works with you and then we can officially book you into that time slot. (We can also record in LA for my LA pals.)

I know there will be questions. Please feel free to e-mail me or call me directly and I will answer everything.

Again, thanks for the participation. I think this will be a great tribute to the Broadway Community and a project to be really proud of. For generations to come.

Yours,

Glen

No comments: