Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Poetry 2 February

Please welcome Zoe Caldwell to our group! Thanks to Roberta Maxwell!

Today's update:

It couldn't have started better. Moises Kaufmann came in to read! Moises came in through Donna Lynne Champlin's recommendation and I am really thrilled that he wanted to participate. I love the fact that in addition to "traditional" theatrical performers we have Tony Walton, Newscaster Lynn Sherr and from the opera world Lauren Flanigan (more later) and Michael Okulitch. And now we have Moises. Wow!

Moises read a Tennessee Williams poem. I knew he wrote a bit of poetry but Moises told me about more aobout it. And, LIFE STORIES, which he read, is a gem. With possibly the greatest last line of any poem on the CD. And that's saying something. (Well, maybe ONE of the greatest last lines.) It was a great joy to hear him read and his melodic accent only added to the piece. This was great!

The great Harriet Harris came in and read an amazing Jack Spicer poem. I'm thrilled to have another "beat" poem on the CD. Harriet brought unparalleled depth to this poem. And then on the interview told about a meeting between her mother and Alan Ginsberg. Wonderful.

THEN WE HAD A SCHEDULING GLITCH! The first one and I can't believe it happened. Those of you who know me well, know I'm close with Patti LuPone. In fact Patti was the first person I asked to be on this record. AND WE DIDN'T HEAR HER RING THE BELL! I can't believe it. Patti was in town for the day and we screwed it up! CRAP! The only screw up and it was with one of my oldest pals. NEVER MIND.
Patti is going on tour and I'm going to Chicago to get her on this CD. Can you believe it?!

But then we were back on schedule.

The great opera star, Lauren Flanigan came in next and it was a thrill. First of all, I'm such a fan. More importantly, she read a sensational poet by the late Arnold Weinstein. Lauren worked a great deal with Arnold; I knew him as well. She did Arnold proud. And I believe Arnold was right there in the room with us.
Lauren and GPR Records are talking about doing some CDs together. I can't wait.

Then we had another musical moment: Ann Hampton Calloway came in and was dazzling. Of course! She read a beautiful sonnet by Rilke, from his Orpheus sonnets. Hearing Ann recite about Art and Singing and Music was...well...music. So moving. And then in the interview, Ann improvised a song setting of the poem. AND WE GOT IT ON TAPE! I'm afraid she's going to win the most original interview award! If we had one!

We closed the day with Richard Thomas reading one of my favorites: Hopkins' Spring and Fall. Richard had an amazing affinity with this poem and boy did it show. I have to admit Hopkins is sometimes difficult. Richard soared through the poem and made it as accessible as any poem on the CD.

So, that's the update. We're mixing and mastering. It's going well.

No recording tomorrow. More on Wednesday.

Thanks for reading!!!

G

No comments: