Tuesday, March 23, 2010

MAHLER Ruckert/Roven

And while I'm posting, My friend who runs Barihunk suggested I do
Kindertotenlieder.

So here it is. Again, anyone who wants the score, lemme know.

Songs on the
Death Of Children
By Friedrich Ruckert
Adapted and Translated into English by
Glen Roven

No. 1 TOO SOON THE SUN WILL RISE

Too soon, too soon the sun will rise
As if, As if nothing happened before my eyes.
The horror, This horror is mine alone.
No matter the sun will, will shine as it's always shone!
You must not let darkness of night confound you.
No. Let the heaven's light, let holy light surround you!
The sweet life of ours is dead and done.
Son! Daughter! Let heaven's light out shine the sun,
Let your light out shine the sun.

No. 2 OH, NOW I KNOW

Oh, now I know, just why your eyes are burning,
Just why there's heaven's fire in your glances.
Such fire. Such fire.
And with each glance my frail heart dances,
Although I know you will not be returning.
Because the mist of midnight has been churning,
My eyes did not see how your light advances,
Did not see how your precious light advances
To home, to home.
Eternal souls are always yearning.
Oh, how I wish my pain was somehow lightened.
But now I find myself resigning.
Though when I think of you my heart is brightened
For our souls are somehow now combining.
So when at night you're all alone and frightened
Look up, And see.
My eyes are stars and shining.









No. 3 WHEN I’M HOME AT LAST

When I'm home at last,
When the hours have passed,
I don't see your mother.
I look for another
Hiding 'neath the stairs,
There! Behind the chairs.
Where you should be playing.
Be there. Be there! Hear me praying.
Oh, gone without a trace.
Nothing can replace
All the joy,
The blessed joy of your embrace,
Nothing can erase my dear sweet daughter's face.
When I'm home at night I can see the light
Of our candles glowing,
Ev'ry second knowing
You'll run up to me,
Happily I see Your sweet love over flowing.
Oh, you. Oh, you; my sweet endearing, disappearing so soon. I cannot say farewell.
I cannot speak from hell.


No.4 I KNOW THEY’RE OUTSIDE

I know they're
Outside and only playing.
I wish I could hear what my children are saying.
The day is fine.
Oh, bless my soul.
I'm sure there right there behind that knoll.
And if I see them slightly straying.
Why worry? Soon they'll be back from their playing.
Oh, bless my soul.
The day is fine.
They're going for a stroll,
These hearts of mine.
And if we cannot see them playing
We’ll call them back home and they'll come obeying.
And if they run off
Well, that's just fine.
The sun is warm.
Oh, see it shine
For Hearts of mine.

No. 5 THE WINDS ARE HOWLING

The winds are howling.
The rain beats down.
And I didn't realize
My children could drown.
The waters were rising.
The bridges were down.
Why was it so surprising?!
The rivers plowing
Right through the town.
And I could not realize
Our children could drown.
Their father could not protect them.
How could this monster neglect them?
The mud is flowing.
The river's brown.
And I didn't realize
My children could drown.
And then from my self-delusion
Comes this horrific confusion.
The winds are howling.
The rain beats down.
And I didn't realize
My children could drown.
Oh, can't you just hear them crying?
My children scream as they're dying.
The storm is through.
Yes, the rain's died down.
There's peace in town.
I know, I know
My children will have their just reward.
My children have come home to their mother's house
And now they are home,
They're home and with their righteous Lord.
At home with our Lord.

No comments: